Pockets of excess fat that usually accumulate on the flanks, the abdomen, thighs and other parts of the body can look unsightly, and eliminating them might be frustrating. Proper dieting and regular exercise might not be enough to rectify in most cases. That is why liposuction is the best remedy for controlling this.
What is Liposuction?
Liposuction ,commonly referred to as lipo, is a form of cosmetic surgery that is used to remove the excess fats from the body. It is also referred to as liposculpture or suction-assisted lipectomy. Liposuction helps one to sculpture and shape the body but not necessarily to lose weight. Weight loss will, however, be manifested because your body will get rid of the excess fat that causes weight gain.
How is it done?
Liposuction is usually performed with general anesthesia, with a local epidural or anesthetic also an option. A small incision is performed in the area that requires fat removal, then a tube (micro cannula) for suction is inserted. By passing it back and forth, the tube loosens the fat, and a vacuum device attached to the tube removes the fat.
Excess fluids and blood are then drained, and the incision is surgically sutured. A bandage is applied to the area that has been treated and at times to reduce any swelling; a compression clothing is applied too.
Who is the best candidate?
Liposuction has been proven to be a safe process, allowing millions of patients to achieve their desired body figure. In most cases, the procedure is combined with tummy tuck surgery and breast augmentation, but ideally, it is essential to understand your chances of being a candidate for liposuction.
A qualified professional plastic surgeon can determine your candidacy. The best candidate should be someone who is healthy, and is in an ideal body weight of about 25 pounds and has body fats that are not responding to diet and exercise. Both men and women over 18 years can go for liposuction.
How can you ensure best results before the procedure?
Before going for the procedure, it would best if you first understand all the pros and cons if any, as it is custom for all cosmetic surgery processes. Doing some research to learn about the procedure, would greatly help. Take your time, discuss with your doctor before deciding to go for the surgery.
In reality, you should be able to know how to find the right surgeon, how to choose the proper facility, payment options at your disposal and any other related subject of concern.
Furthermore, it would be best if you understood all the options at your disposal. This means that you need to know if you would prefer going for laser liposuction, traditional liposuction, ultrasonic or general anesthesia. While the surgeon might help you decide on the best option, you also need to know these options.
The following is what you should do before going for liposuction for best results:
- Carefully select the right surgeon for the procedure. The best plastic surgeon should be one who performs from a well-founded hospital or facility. This way, you are assured of best care before, during and after the procedure.
- Ensure that your weight is as close to your average age and height as possible. This is because liposuction is not performed to lose weight. Therefore the skin should be as firm and elastic as it should be.
- After extensive consultation with the doctor, select the best procedure for liposuction. The most popular and safest is tumescent liposuction, but ideally, there are several others.
- Lastly, it is essential to follow all the directions that the doctor gives you after the procedure. If you have to wear a compression clothing you have to do it, or if the doctor recommends that you walk around after the process.
What should you do after the surgery?
The primary thing to understand is that results don’t come immediately after the surgery. So do not get upset the next day or week after the liposuction if you don’t notice significant changes. It will take a few months before you can shape up.
What you should do:
- Yearn to know everything before and during the procedure so that you are ready for the results afterwards. Ask the doctor questions rather than passively waiting to see what will happen. Knowing what will happen after and what is happening is the surest way of keeping tabs on your healthcare.
- At times you might have been taking supplements purchased over the counter. It is important to let your doctor know as the doctor might have you stop taking some vitamins or herbal medications. These supplements might not be right during the surgery as some tend to prevent or slow blood clotting or even cause bleeding during the operation. Only resume consumption following the doctor’s advice.
- It is essential to understand that not all areas of your body can respond to liposuction. Therefore having the doctor advise you on the areas that require the process and those that would respond best to another procedure is critical.
- Avoid any heavy lifting or vigorous activities during the healing process.
- Wear loose-fitting garments after the surgery before you fully heal.
- Eat healthily.
In summary, it is important to observe protocol before and after the surgery for the best results in liposuction. Bearing in mind that the procedure is not a remedy for weight loss, have realistic expectations.
The procedure is effective and is safe as long as you are the right candidate. The only way to do this is by consulting a plastic surgeon to understand if you fit as a candidate. You are guaranteed best results if you follow your doctor’s instructions.
Doctors Plastic Surgery is a medical facility based in New York and Chicago in the U.S that has highly experienced doctors. The doctors are well versed in liposuction processes and other surgical operations such as breast augmentations and many more.